View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
One can argue that Ontario has the least interesting of all of the provincial flags.
There is no defining character, uniqueness or distinctiveness whatsoever about the current design, leaving very little that would allow for provincial identification or pride.
It's simply the British Flag Red Ensign design adorned with a few maple leaves - easily mistaken or confused with Canada's former flag from the first part of the last century.
I'm not sure how this could possibly engender any sort of pride or identification, so I'm skeptical of the claim that Ontarian's are the culturally dominant or noble "default Canadian's"

In Manitoba, the only other province to retain the archaic red ensign design, at least there's a visible buffalo to denote that the region was once populated with thousands of the animals across vast stretches of its southern prairies.

With Ontario, there's nothing to identify with in the provincial flag... so it doesn't surprise me to hear that many in this province would opt for the Canadian flag (red maple design) over its own provincial flag. Ultimately, when deciding which flag (or flags) to fly, I believe it's the banal simplicity of Ontario's provincial flag that results in it rarely being used outside of provincial government buildings.
We don't need a flag to inculcate provincial pride in our people in Ontario.

First, we have the trillium, a symbol that means everything to Ontarians. Finally, we have the motto, uttered each and every day by each and every Ontarian with great pride, "loyal she remains".

No flag is needed for our provincial pride is readily apparent to all.