View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
yes I absolutely believe that it is in downtown's best interest to have a residential population that is not predominantly poor.
gentrifying isn't going to make anyone not poor; it's just going to move them somewhere else. so "downtown's best interests" in this instance is not in the interests of the people who already live there. it's in the best interests of people that are not from downtown and don't live downtown. ergo, it's in everybody else's best interest that the people who currently live and shop downtown can no longer afford to do so.

my point is not to catch you and label you a racist, and it's not about target in particular. my point is to get people who come from a more suburban/white background to think more critically about how these issues affect actual people of lower socioeconomic standing and stop prioritizing manmade constructions over the actual people who use them. if we destroy the community in the process, we aren't improving it. we're basically saying "these inanimate buildings are more important to me than the community of people that live there" and honestly that's really problematic.