View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:55 AM

Googies became famous for its Style

Not sure how the Googie's topic got started but I just noticed it today. I recalled reading about the Googie style train station in Tomorrowland, Disneyland, and never understood why they called it that, so I found this reference to Googie Style Archetechture on Wikipedia. Thought I'd post a link in case anyone is interested in how long-lasting the name Googies became, even if the restaurant did not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie_architecture
On the off chance that many will not click the link or wonder why I bothered, Here is the heart of the message from Wikipedia, if they don't mind me cutting and pasting it here.

"The origin of the name Googie dates to 1949, when architect John Lautner designed the West Hollywood coffee shop, Googies, which had distinct architectural characteristics.[4] The name "Googie" had been a family nickname of Lillian K. Burton, the wife of the original owner, Mortimer C. Burton.[5][6] Googies was located at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Crescent Heights in Los Angeles but was demolished in 1989.[7] The name Googie became a rubric for the architectural style when editor Douglas Haskell of House and Home magazine and architectural photographer Julius Shulman were driving through Los Angeles one day. Haskell insisted on stopping the car upon seeing Googies and proclaimed "This is Googie architecture."[4] He popularized the name after an article he wrote appeared in a 1952 edition of House and Home magazine.[8][9]

Last edited by alanlutz; Jul 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM.