View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:12 PM

Center City/University City

I've been thinking about this project and its purported underwhelming height. I actually don't mind. One of the primary interests of the city is to bring University City and Center City together. While this project is a ways away from the Schuylkill, it's important to have more building density on BOTH sides of the river. This will make the transition over the bridges appear more seamless, thus fulfilling the city's interest in incorporating the two districts.

It reminds me of Chicago. While Chicago has much higher building density along its Chicago River, it wasn't so many years back. At that time, anything north/west of the Chicago River was relegated to highrise status. As a result, the river seemed to be more like the Schuylkill is now - a line of demarcation between two districts. As the building density grew in the 90's and 00's, one can look across the Chicago River and still feel like they're in the same neighborhood.

All building from Greys Ferry - Vine, 20th St. - 36th Street - above 20 stories will help manifest this idea.