View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Quinpool has very low quality buildings. There are only a few with moderate architectural value, and there's no reason why a new building couldn't exceed those in quality, particularly if it is allowed to go up to 8 floors.

I think a big part of the focus on preserving buildings is simply that people don't believe that the new ones can be as good as the old, at least as far as the public is concerned. That was a pretty good belief in the 1970's but it will probably fade as better buildings go up.
For me it's not so much that I'm worried about the quality of new buildings, it's just the idea that if you replace every building on Quinpool, is it still Quinpool? The individual buildings might not be anything special but the streetscape is pretty unique. The only place I've ever been that really felt similar was Bloor West Village in Toronto. Hopefully if many of the older buildings are replaced, the rhythm of the streetscape is maintained (chop new buildings into several distinctive storefronts rather than having buildings like Cornwallis House on SGR that basically take up the entire block with one uniform facade)