View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 7:36 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm not saying I would allow and want monopolies. I didn't say it was a monopoly that the Broncos have, you did. I was simply saying that he is protecting his geographic turf as far as sales for merchandise and an expanded fan base. I for one am not a Broncos fan but I know many people locally that are, they are fans because they love the NFL and they want to cheer for a team that is geographically relevant. Thus they choose the Broncos.

Don't think for one second that Greg Miller along with the owner of the Blazers wouldn't fight a team locating to Boise. If Boise had a team that would cut into both fan bases. The Jazz have a HUGE fan base in Idaho, with ticket sales, merchandise sales and TV reach. I am assuming that the western part of Idaho may lean towards the Blazers, again a geographical familiarity and wanting to have a team to cheer for.

An NFL team in Utah would hit the Broncos bottom line, and an NBA team in Boise would hit the Jazz bottom line. Again it's not about being a monopoly, it's about protecting revenues and market share in order to stay viable, competitive and profitable.