View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I think it's the same design. Pretty easy to imagine the building looking squat fat and awkward from the southwest in that rendering. I agree that the building looks quite decent from this angle. But I'm afraid that there is no amount of goodness that can overcome the sheer awfulness of the view from Bryant Park. My confidence that the powers that be will come to their senses fades with every new rendering based on the original terrible design. Please God no. Any city but this one. Or at least, any spot but this one. I have new sympathy for those who lamented the rise of the Pan Am building over their beloved GST. But at least that building had brilliant architects who created a beautiful tower. We have some KPF scribbler whose name will never cross paths with the word "brilliant". What a hack.
The Pan Am (MetLife) is hardly brilliant architecture. I find it much more offensive than this building to be honest. It's a behemouth among the gems. It's archtecture is one part modern, one part brutal. At best, it's a serviceable backdrop. It destroyed one of the truly great vistas down Park Ave the same way One Chase destroyed views of downtown. While I generally agree with your views of One Vanderbilt (if the view from the ESB and BP haven't changed and we're only seeing the good side in the most recent renderings) it is still far superior to the PanAm in every way.