View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:51 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
It's always good to hear about dense residential being built in the greater urban core, but in this case the proximity to and view from the iconic Broadway/West End split gives me cause to wonder if a more optimal mixed-use structure would be more appropriate for this area.

I feel this junction will be Nashville's 'Time Square' at some point. The failure of the West End Summit to rise has been a major holdup to this corner realizing that potential. But it is too much in the City's focus to not be the next center of incredible growth and development in the not too distant future. I can see a cluster of high rises going in here and feel like a 5 story, 'stick and stucco' building would not fit in well.
I could agree with that if this area was extremely dense and on the verge of being built out in the next 10 years, but we're pretty far from that. If anything I would say that SoBro or the Gulch would have that issue to worry about far before that split, especially with the fast food restaurants, street front parking, car dealerships, gas stations, etc. that are still present.

Planning for an optimal mixed use structure that could be iconic is all good, but in reality each one that's been proposed hasn't gotten out of the ground. If low rise residential kills surface lots and gives the area a more urban feel then I'm all for it although I wish the amount of stucco being used would drop drastically.