View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:14 PM

I'm from Milwaukee and live in Chicago so all the action in between the cities is exciting for me. I remember when 94 was still two lanes in places, now it's an absolute futuristic racetrack. Can't wait to see these two great cities grow even closer together. I think Foxconn is a great fit for Milwaukee given the role of precision industry and manufacturing throughout its history. It seems that Chicago has always been more heavy industry (stock yards, railways, giant smelters, etc) while Milwaukee has always gravitated towards the higher end durable goods like heavy equipment, control systems, factory equipment, etc. Milwaukee also still has the highest percentage of its workforce employed in Manufacturing out of any city in the US so it's a natural fit to bring high tech manufacturing in as well.

Chicago has evolved more from it's heavy industry roots, but the precision manufacturing like Johnson Controls, Manatowac, Bucyrus (now CAT), Rockwell Automation, etc has really stayed put in Milwaukee. Foxconn is a brilliant addition to that community and legacy and is really even more exciting in the general context of the industrial and logistics development that has blown up not just in this corridor, but all the corridors around Chicago as far out as I-39/I88, Gary, Rockford, Kenosha, etc. Hopefully Chicago is able to capitalize on it's clear preeminence in logistics and the current corporate and tech booms downtown and bring in Amazon. These two players would really mark the Milwaukee-Chicago region as a Class A tech hub and a great paring of industrial know how and service/tech sector innovation.