View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultuser View Post
Is it really so bad that people traveling through our fair city are burdened by a few traffic lights and a slower speed limit? I mean, this place is in the middle of nowhere in the grand scheme of things, so why not slow down and take in the awesomeness that is Calgary. What else is there?

Any upgrades should be done with the interests of the people using the infrastructure daily, first and foremost.
Maybe not for cars but it sure is for truck traffic. Time is money (and pollution from idling engines while we are at it). Every extra minute a truck spends sitting on 16th as it passes through Calgary is costing someone some $$ (probably you & I at the end of the day). Hope the ring road helps because this city sucks for inter city trucking when they are travelling E/W.
Agreed. One thing to keep in mind is this discussion isn't about a few traffic lights, we're talking about a lot of traffic lights. There are 25 traffic signals on 16 Ave N - 19 are located between Crowchild Trail and Deerfoot Trail, the most of any city on the Trans Canada Highway (I'll exclude Winnipeg because the Perimeter Highway serves as a viable bypass for the city, and the southern portion is marked TCH 100).

On the contrary, there are no traffic signals on Glenmore Trail between Deerfoot & Crowchild, and if the Trans Canada were to follow Glenmore and Sarcee Trails, there would a total of 11 traffic signals without any new interchanges being constructed – with the potential to eliminate every traffic signal.