Thread: Atlanta Parks
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
As Inspiration:

Here's the site for the New York Park Restoration Project. It was founded years ago by Bette Middler of all people. I have to give her major props for her work. But there's several things on the web site about the importance of parks and green space and trees in urban environments. She's bought dozens of vacant neglected properties in New York City and had them redeveloped into useful community driven pocket parks. She's also behind the drive to plant a million trees in NYC.

http://www.nyrp.org/

Plus I certainly would go to a park opening if it featured Bette Midler and an interpretive performance art piece on tree planting by the Blue Man Group. How New York is that?

Again, I think we kinda miss the point though, it seems that the argument always gets down to a) open green space, parks, community building areas, OR b) dense urban developments - they shouldn't really conflict. They actually compliment each other. Small community parks, local pocket parks, all provide a needed breathing space and "living room" to meet you neighbors.
Talk about missing the point. I have not at all agrued parks versus urban development. I've only said that its the good urban development (not just tall buildings) is the critical issue to Midtown becoming a great place not pocket parks.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Sep 24, 2008 at 12:56 AM.