View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I don't think the improvements to Naito and the Ross Island Bridgehead should be contingent on routing MAX through that ROW. The improvements are important enough to South Portland in their own right.

Also, there's no way in hell you're going to expect 1000's of commuters and patients who need to get to Pill Hill every day by transit to traverse over a 1/4 mile and climb over 300 feet in elevation to get to and from their destination. Even with elevators and/or escalators, you're adding a ton of time and energy to their trip if they have to get to Pill Hill from Naito. It's just not feasible, not to mention being inhumane. So it's not JUST the extra few minutes that the Naito alignment would add to the travel time, it's also the additional 5-10 minutes it would take to make that additional 1/4 mile x 300' trek. Even adding a second tram won't be able to address the passenger loads that the hospitals generate.

Of course, they have to consider all options when planning the SW Corridor, but if they aren't going to tunnel under OHSU, then they might as well not build anything at all.
This is going to be a difficult decision for the project. 65MAX: For sure, the Ross Island improvements should not be contingent on this corridor's alignment. I wish they would start removing the ramps to Barbur So. and build the I-405 ramp ASAP. This would limit southbound commuters on Barbur and give more sway to those neighborhood groups who want separated bike lanes on the bridges further south (see friends of barbur)

When Metro first mentioned having an "elevator or escalator system," it was unexpected to say the least. It must be possible or they wouldn't have brought it up, though I have no idea how much such an escalator might cost (how much was the zoo elevator, for example?). Surely, if Barbur became the alignment, it would take very little effort for riders. Even Naito is only two blocks to the theoretical escalator. This would also give Lair Hill residents access w/o walking all the way down to the So. Waterfront. And imagine the foot traffic on Gibbs! (Perhaps even some room for shops and a second wind for Lair Hill).

Again, I would prefer the tunnel, but I think this might be the most cost-effective alignment. Two blocks is indeed often less than a lot of bus transfers downtown.