View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:23 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I could understand if they never came out against Millennium Park and the Pritzker Pavilion being as it use to be a huge parking lot and the Pritzker Pavilion is just an amphitheater not a principal structure.

I don't think they made a fuss about the Art Museum's Modern Wing. I do think they had something to do with the Children's Museum's Grant Park proposal getting the axe if I remember correctly.
That's it: the Lucas site is also an open-air parking lot; the Pritzker Pavilion IS a fire-rated, occupiable, 'principle' structure. It has fully engineered interior spaces that have to conform to City building codes. To my knowledge, Friends of the Park never batted an eye when Millennium Park and everything contained within was announced, designed and constructed (unless I'm totally wrong) - why all the embarrassing fuss now? A question that neither Mr. D nor anyone else seems inclined to answer.

I think this has nothing to do with the (very flawed) LPO and has much more to do with xenophobic concerns about a perceived carpetbagger bringing his influence to our 'fair' City.