View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2011, 1:36 AM

Streaks on precast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It tends to get weird streaks unlike stone products which tend to age more evenly on their surfaces. May have to do with how porous or the density of the material. Just something I noticed. There's a precast building in Toronto that reminded me very much of the Elysian. The weathering doesn't look all that pleasant to me. It also doesn't hide damage all that well. Take a walk by 10 E. Delaware sometime.
Hello Hayward

Though disappointing to read, thank you for your update on the still relatively new 10 E. Delaware.

I'm only speculating as well, but perhaps the issue with 10 E. Delaware is with electrolysis and cathartic protection at the precast interface. The still slightly high ph of the new precast material, exposed to it's first prolong exposure to rain, snow and moisture producing a mild corrosion effect at the interface. Oxidizing and breaking down some of the minerals in the microscopically disassociated precast material, being revealed in the form of streaks. Something pre treating of this particular precast material, prior to installing might address.

If you get a chance, could you please take a picture of the streaks?

Last edited by seadragon; May 4, 2011 at 1:50 AM.