View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
When I first viewed this thread, only Steely Dan had made a comment yet. I assumed he was mistaken in thinking Mike actually believed his photos depicted a slum. I figured Mike was just being facetious with the thread title. Now that I've seen the follow-up responses, I realize *I* was mistaken.

Mike, I think you need to pay closer attention to the type of words you use. You could maybe get away with referring to this area as more run-down or maybe even somewhat decayed (by 1st world country standards), but it doesn't seem to even remotely fit the category of "slum" when you think about areas of the less developed world.
Ohioguy I know the neighbourhood is not a slum slum. All I was saying was that many people do consider it slummy. If you talk to people who actually live in the area they do consider it a slum.

Example I was talking with someone in the area and they asked what I was doing. And I said we had to go down to Markham and Eglinton to do a project.
And they were "ohh that slum".

I fully understand it is not a slum in the real world.
But the area is run down and needs to be cleaned up.

Niwell, I am all for affortable housing. However the state these buildings are in is not good and I see no reason why we should turn a blind eye and act like everything is great and not press to get these buildings cleaned up. I am sorry, but there is no excuse to have broken lights and rusted childrens playgrounds, and act like this is great because the apartments are cheap.

The fact is that I would bet everyone of us on this site would not live in these buildings if given the chance, unless as a last resort. Because we all know the conditions are crappy.

Providing a suitable place to live without bugs, and without broken elevators, lights, etc does not mean the place has to become expensive. Believe me the yuppies will not be moving to Markham and Eglinton no matter how nice the buildings are. It is just not in the trendy circle at all and too far from the core.

You guys are aware it is the residents of these buildings themselves who want them cleaned up don't you? We were not asked to document the issues in this neighbourhood for nothing. The neighbourhood actually came to us because they want to see change.
They want safe pedestrian connections, clean buildings, and better park space, etc.

I will state again that I know this area is not a slum by world conditions. I have been to real slums and know what they are. I understand this is just a neighbourhood that has fallen into some decay and just needs some guiding help. All I am stating is that many residents do consider it a slum. If you actually lived out here in Scarborough and interacted with residents who live out here like I do, you would know that. Most residents can't stand the high-rise housing. Many view them as third world living conditions, whether that is true or not.
I have many friends who grew up in buildings like this and believe me they have horror stories. We should not have buildings in such poor condition in a first world country. I don't see why you guys think it is weird the community wants to clean these buildings up. If you lived in these buildings under what many do consider slum conditions(I did not say it but many people do say this), than you would want to clean it up to.

Last edited by miketoronto; Oct 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM.