View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
One of the solutions being proposed is to construct a taller, heavier structure next door to keep it anchored upright. I'm all for this one
And by "next door" they mean... where? Aren't all the lots within a block or so already substantially developed.

Not only is available land an issue, but how would that even be feasible? Think about all the variables that would have to fall into place: The city could up-zone a tower site in the right location, but there's no guarantee that a developer would build something substantial enough (unless it was Millennium Partners looking to protect their original investment but no way to guarantee that outcome). The city could put requirements in place to ensure an adequately weighted structure, but that seems incredibly heavy handed with numerous potential legal issues. Plus, in order for the weight of a nearby structure to balance the structural load of the soil below Millennium Tower, it would have to exert force on the soil below (i.e. have the same type of foundation/not drilled into bedrock) which I doubt anyone would comfortable financing or insuring at this point given all the known issues. In short, I'm skeptical.

Last edited by L.ARCH; Oct 12, 2016 at 6:05 PM.