View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Why? It's a joke to recognize the positive qualities of one's city?

Good, because that ain't what I said. I am apologizing to my visitors, who pretty much universally express the wish to live here, but cannot (for various reasons). I am dead fucking serious. It might help that 90% of the people who come to visit me come for the skiing and camping. But there's a vibe in this city that my friends just find irresistible, every time they experience it. Maybe I just hang with a lot of people with wanderlust.

I am not saying that *I* think everyone would love to live here. It just so happens that the majority of people I meet, think that way. The question was "what do you apologize to your visitors for", not "what do you wish your visitors thought".

Wow, are Canadians that cynical that demonstrations of outright pride have to be jokes now?
I went back and reread your posts. If in *your* mind the worst thing about Calgary for visitors is the fact they have to go back to where they were from, then we are not on the same page at all.

But sure, visitors to a given city will tell locals they wish they could live there all the time. They say this in Montreal, Toronto, Dallas, Paris and Charlottetown PEI all the time. Sometimes it's sincere, sometimes it's just a way to be polite and endear themselves to you.