View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 10:43 PM

Fisherman's Paradise: New Bedford, Mass.

New Bedford, Massachusetts

New Bedford, population 95,000, is the sixth largest city in Massachusetts and the largest commercial fishing port in the United States. It is located off Buzzard's Bay approximately midway between Providence and Cape Cod. Boston is about 60 miles to the north.

Nicknamed 'The Whaling City,' New Bedford was once one of the most important, if not the most important, whaling city in the world. Today the city struggles with high unemployment and is one of the lowest income municipalities in the state. However, it boasts a very well preserved downtown and working waterfront. These photos are focused entirely on those areas, so they are not very representative of the city as a whole, but hopefully give some sense of the historic architecture of the city. Many people are most familiar with New Bedford as the port to catch the Martha's Vineyard ferry from.

DOWNTOWN

Purchase Street

Union Street

An interesting, and underutilized, internal courtyard off Union

Williams Street

This old church is now an art gallery

Mechanics Lane - This is a really neat old street I didn't get to photograph very well

Pleasant Street

The New Bedford Art Museum is right next to the downtown police precinct.

The Public Library

The Whaling Memorial with City Hall in the background

William Street

HISTORIC DISTRICT

First Street

The New Bedford Whaling Museum

Acushnet Street

Front Street

Centre Street

Hamilton Street

Custom House Park

From Route 18

THE PIERS

Looking across the harbor to Fairhaven

Finally this is a historic residential district I stumbled into just west of the downtown. I'm not even going to try to guess on street names.

One of the coolest cul-de-sacs I've ever seen

And a final night one from the Downtown

Okay, that's it. Thanks for viewing.