View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:08 PM

On the subject of "cool" suburbs, my friend and I were having a big discussion on this when we were back home in the Quad Cities. There is a lot going on there in the bar/music scene. In downtown Moline what was boarded up and abandoned in the 90s is renovated and thriving. Microbreweries, live music, lots of venues, and really good music being played.

We compared that the Chicago suburbs. Durty Nellies in Palatine doesn't pull in the same class of talent. I think I can count them on one hand. I'm talking Empty Bottle class venues. All the action is in the city. If suburban parents who haven't completely lost their cool want to go out, we go into Chicago. Suburbs can't compete.

Whereas if you go to a mid-market urban area like the Quad Cities downtowns, where its just that and 3 hours of corn in every direction, the market is there to utilize the old urban fabric and make it cool.
Also those city governments are looking for revenue, aren't looking to block every development.

In the burbs here it's constantly, "Well, we're not going to approve your zoning application for live music and a 2am liquor license because the folks in the $800,000 homes a few blocks from the Metra stations don't like it.

No $800,000 mansions around downtown Moline to contend with. Party till 2am outside in summer, no one cares.