View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:48 PM

In today's spec:

Quote:
'Shocked' philanthropist cuts city off

Paul Morse
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 28, 2009)

Hamilton businessman Chris Ecklund says he's so shocked over comments made about him in a city subcommittee that he has pulled the plug on his municipal philanthropy.

"I don't have any ulterior motive with any of my philanthropy anywhere in the city," Ecklund told The Spectator last night. "And to have my integrity questioned is totally improper ... It's an extremely sad day for the city."

Ecklund's reaction comes two days after a member of the city subcommittee on accountability and transparency criticized two councillors for joining Ecklund in a private box at Ivor Wynne Stadium during a Tiger-Cats game.

Joanna Chapman told her fellow committee members that it amounted to being able to privately lobby the councillors. She also suggested Ecklund may be running for mayor. Ecklund denies any interest in running for public office.

Chapman could not be reached for comment last night.

"This individual has done nothing but give and never asked anything in return from the city," said Councillor Terry Whitehead last night. He said Ecklund donates tens of thousands of dollars a year to city-enhancing projects.
People start asking (legitimate) questions about the propriety of councillors being invited to Ecklund's private box for Ticat games, and he picks up his ball and goes home in a huff. Would a true philanthropist behave in this manner?

For the benefit of clarity, a philanthropist is a person who participates in the act of donating money, goods, services, time and/or effort to support a socially beneficial cause, with a defined objective and with no financial or material reward to the donor.