View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:43 PM

My fantasy Lower Mainland passenger ferry network

Kind of like what npinguy did with his future fantasy Skytrain network.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.961304&z=10

With the increasing cost of gas, and our growing population and increasingly congested roadways, we are experiencing a crunch for carless transit services. We're also blessed with a great natural network of waterways that remains badly underutilized, considering their potential to get people out of cars and cruise past congested road traffic.

Some additional points:
  1. The Gibsons route is based on the proposal that the Coastal Link Ferries people has put forth (as mentioned in another thread). I suggest adding Bowen and Ambleside as stops, as proposed in GVRD transit proposals in the past, which seem to have gone by the wayside.
  2. Don't know if there is a need for a stop at both Deep Cove and Dollarton. Just put them in there for now.
  3. Don't know if there is enough clearance under the Derwent Way bridge between Queensborough and Annacis Island. If not, it'll have to swing south of Annacis instead.
  4. The Haney-New West and Steveston-New West routes could be combined if the traffic loads match on them.
  5. In case you're wondering why ferries to Sidney and Nanaimo are on there, the idea is to run BC Ferries' Routes 1, 2, 3 and 30 on a reduced schedule, and run the passenger ferries over similar paths inbetween, to reduce the use of the big car ferries. With rising cost of fuel and BCF's losses, a decrease in service wouldn't be unreasonable. I'd also like to see an extension of the Canada Line to Steveston, to connect with the ferry services and build it up as a town centre.

Now, here is an example of a city with a good marine transit network:

http://www.sydneyferries.info/maps.htm

Comments and suggestions? (Both positive and negative welcome, yet hopefully constructive.)

Last edited by Nutterbug; May 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM.