View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Based upon the most current renderings 8th and Grand, as monolithic it is, may prove to be a very interesting centerpiece for neighborhood activity. On that note Hunter, you show photos of various developments with still (after many years on the market ) vacancies. It makes me wonder if the planning department's philosophy of ground floor retail is not creating a saturated retail environment. I agree that it diminishes what is considered "dead space" which creates an unpleasant experience for the pedestrian, but much can be done to design the lower floor of a development that is pleasant for the pedestrian and doesn't necessarily have to have retail. I don't object to convenience retail in strategic nodes in South Park, but when I see retail planned for the ground floor of every development I think that is retail that could be located on Broadway, 7th, or Hill, streets that have so much underutilized (read "swapmeet") or vacant space. Its seems as if there is potential retail energy which is being diverted from these critical thoroughfares. With new development, I say let the developers decide what is best for the ground floor of their developments. Otherwise, if the city demands (as it does) it, it will more than likely stay vacant for a long time and end up costing the developer money. By the way, I think that any pedestrian walking past a chronically vacant retail space, would find that to be an unpleasant experience. Group, what are your thoughts?
Honestly, quality, newer retail doesnt stay vacant for very long. 8th and hope had multiple LOI's for their 5 spaces a couple months ago and they are asking $7.00 a square plus NNN. The available spaces at the Luma building are in negotiations as well. The only other spaces in the financial core / south park i can think of that arent spoken for are the corner unit at Wilshire and Grand (former bank that is huge) and the space next to rite aid on 7th and hope that isnt on the market but isnt open either.