View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 12:42 PM

revisionist reportage re routes

The Spectator article does not accurately reflect what I told the reporter. I said that since we have money in place, thanks to GO, we can start almost immediately to do the work required at the GO Centre to accomodate some HSR buses. There's no reason HSR direct connection to the GO service has to wait for the MacNab Street terminal work. We also have pre-approved $3 million dollars for the project which I think should be enough to do the platform work and road configuration for MacNab between King and Main to accomodate the Gore Park buses. That leaves funding requirements to provide a terminal building at MacNab Street that would provide ticketing, washrooms, and perhaps a coffee shop to serve passengers and HSR operators. This could be accomodated on a temporary basis with a modular building, or by leasing nearby space. Removal of the buses could be phased in by starting with the ones parked between John and Hughson. In my media release it clearly states "some of the work could get underway sooner than expected" which is not what the reporter wrote. I'm used to it though. Kevin Werner contradicts himself in his story, found in these blogs. He says I consider the approval of the hybrid terminal proposal "the most important" of my political life. Read down the story for the accurate quote..."this is one of the most important..." and try to figure why a reporter would make such an obvious error. I would say that securing $3 million dollars for the construction of a new community cente for the high-needs Beasley neighbourhood, or helping bring forward the redevelopment of the Education Centre property....potentially a bigger project than Jackson Square, rank above moving the buses. Of course my hybrid terminal idea is at least $10 million dollars cheaper than what the planners had in mind, and provides direct connections to GO service for HSR riders, so it's still pretty important.