View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Coyotes, often representing imagery of the wide open West are overpopulated in many parts of the East and have become somewhat of a nuisance and safety issue for pets and small children.

A few years ago my mom's next door neighbor had a coyote living in his backyard and he didn't even know it due to his wild landscaping. One day, it appeared on the roof, taking a nap in the shade and that's when animal control was called in.
I read somewhere that the coyotes in the northeastern U.S. may have interbred with wolves in the Rocky mountain states, the Dakotas & upstate Minnesota as they moved east, so they are somewhat bigger and perhaps more dangerous and aggressive than the variety we have in California, which are slightly smaller than a German Shepherd and more slender in build and usually timid & easy to shoo away except when they are in a pack. I wonder if coyotes interbreed with dogs? Sometimes they prey on the smaller dogs (and cats) out here in San Diego suburbs. You don't keep small dogs and cats outside where there are coyotes. A big dog could probably take care of itself.