View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Not sure which thread to post this, so I went with the sport thread that kicks another type of ball.

==================
Soccer enthusiasts pushing for pro team in Moncton.
The two men leading the charge believe a Canadian Premier League team could be a reality within two years.

Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Sep 03, 2019 9:29 PM AT
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...team-1.5268802
==================

I decided to look into this because I have some interest in watching a good soccer match. 2019 season is the CPL inaugural year. 7 teams across Canada including Halifax Wanderers. Halifax's last two home games on a Mon & Sat night pretty much sold out at 6200 capacity. Tickets are fair, ranging from $23-$47.

Would a Moncton team work? CFL game in Moncton only brings in 10k. CBLC Moncton Magic avr 1200 maybe. Moncton Wildcats avr what, ~4800?

So what would a pro soccer team bring for attendance in MCT? 1500-2000?
Moncton has had a large influx of immigration from South America & African countries & Mexico that care a great deal about soccer. I personally work with quite a few of these folks who would be pretty excited to have a professional soccer team.

While thats pretty anecdotal I would think with the right marketing team and ticket prices a team could get between 2500-3500. Soccer is a growing sport in the city with the low cost and lack of concern around concussions like hockey and football.

They should follow the Wanderers model by including a jersey in season tickets and have a ton of sponsored merchandise from day 1 to show colours around the city.