View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

[...]
Circa 1900 - (unidentified) Shatto family members
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/2600

Wonder about the ground covering. From a distance, everything looks well manicured. Closer views indicates the covering was "rough" or "spotty" rather than "smooth" ornamental grass, e.g., Bermuda. Was it an indigenous (drought-tolerant) grass? Succulents? Iceberg plants? Assume the landscape required constant maintenance, yet there may have been an effort to avoid capturing the action on film. (Cue the leafblowers and auto sprinklers.)

Hmmm, hard to tell just what the main planting might be. Most of the bushes look like . . . well, at first glance, they looked like Camellias to me, which would be a very poor choice for their (very exposed to the sun) location; they could be very robust and well-foliated roses (except for the one all the way at the left of the larger photo, which very much indeed looks like a Camellia and not at all like a rose). The fact that they're all or nearly all carefully staked ("until they get established" would be what's in the gardener's mind) makes me suspect that they're very newly-planted, so they could indeed be (doomed) Camellias which haven't had enough time to die yet. The big plant looks as if it could be a citrus (probably an Orange) or maybe some kind of Magnolia (also well-staked).

But the ground cover...eh, I'm drawing a blank there. The fact that the main planting is seemingly so new, it could be that, for the time being, they're relying on Mother Nature to cover the rest of the ground while they concentrate on the bigger stuff.