View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:37 PM

I actually visited one in Las Vegas. It's pretty bare-bones and unassuming, not to mention small, but that's the point...it's not supposed to be Whole Foods. I was surprised to find one of those recipe/demo stations in the back. Other than that, there was a lot of packaged stuff, including produce. If you're expecting to find some of those unusual British Marks & Spencer-type items (I haven't been to Tesco so I can't compare), like single-serve trifle pudding, don't count on it. It's all about the basics.

The front of the store is ALL self-check-out stations, with one employee ready to step in if needed. This could give them an advantage.

The one thing I question about their business model is that they're opening mainly in out-of-the-way locations "underserved" by other grocery stores, many of which are low-income areas. Given that, does it make sense for them to specialize in ready-to-eat prepared food? That's typically a more expensive way to eat, and tends to be a better fit with yuppie-ish urban areas.