View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:56 AM

I agree with the majority here. This seems like over regulation and governmental interference with the lives of people.

Every time a regulation is put in place there's a price to pay. This will likely cost a few hundred dollars per car by the time the screen, camera, and wiring is installed. For many models this feature alone will constitute 3-5% of the entire vehicle cost. That doesn't seem to me to be an efficient use of money.

I'm a physician at a major trauma center, and I have yet to see a patient inured in a case where this would have prevented the injury. I do, however, see every day accidents caused by drunk (or otherwise intoxicated) drivers. For the amount of time, money, and energy spent on trying to put rear view cameras in cars, we could probably save two or three times the amount of lives by tackling drunk driving.

I have had this feature on a rental car, and I have to say that I enjoyed using it. It really helped when I was backing into a parking space or pulling out of a parking space, however I don't think it would be worth the $700 or so that it would cost to have it in my car. This is an area where the car purchasing market needs to make the decision. If it is something that people want and think is useful then car manufacturers will provide it in their cars.