View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Yeah, it's subjective, but I have a very strong suspicion that the preening smugness about it not being quite so cold in January is a self-defense mechanism in reaction to how very depressing six months of rain is.

But the idea of anyone moving to Vancouver for the weather is so far-fetched as to be laughable, and I don't believe it for a second. I think you're exaggerating or outright lying about "many people" living in Vancouver precisely for the weather. It just doesn't add up (unless maybe you're talking about people from Winnipeg). Or you happen to know the only six people from Montreal in history who did this.

We've gone over this before ad infinitum on this forum, but it bears repeating in light of all this delusion. Let's be real here: people in Ontario or Quebec motivated by their dislike of cold weather do not move to Vancouver. Rather, they winter in Florida. They're a phenomenon called "snowbirds" for a reason. They're not "BC birds," or "Vancouver retirees." It just doesn't happen.

(Again, if you're talking about a plausible source of winter weather refugees then you're talking about the Prairies, but not southern Ontario).

On the other hand, the idea that people would move to Vancouver because the summers in Toronto and Montreal are too hot is so preposterous I can't believe you actually suggested this. I mean, sure, I bet there really are people who don't like summer weather that much, and prefer Vancouver in July, but an identifiable phenomenon that is measurably or anecdotally significant?

"Toronto's so hot in summer, I'm moving to Vancouver because it's not so hot." Said no one ever. Hilarious!
I grew up in Ontario and live in Vancouver. The things you scoff at are things I hear all the time as to why people choose to live here. A lot of people retire in BC because of the weather. The winters have periods where it rains often but it is not "6 months of rain". You're obviously going to continue to believe what you want but it's not based in lived reality here. Why that bothers you so much doesn't make sense to me.

There are subjective reasons to live anywhere. These are simply common reasons people have for living here.

Last edited by dreambrother808; May 8, 2017 at 6:02 AM.