View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:46 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Having nothing to do with the courts I don't know if a new Sac Co. courthouse is really warranted. Of course, I'd like to see new construction and jobs created but I don't see courthouses as really enlivening a neighborhood. So I guess I really don't care that much. I mean it's not like it's going to have some spectacular game-changing design. And If a new courthouse is built what would happen to the old one?
Supposedly the courts are so crowded and backlogged that they need a new court building but would still use the existing courts building, just with the number of courtrooms it was designed for instead of being packed to the gills the way it is now. It's also a foot in the door for Railyards development, and would help pay for some of the infrastructure costs needed to entice a master developer to buy the property from Inland. Lots of activity at the site these days--track realignment is all done, they're building the second tunnel and getting started on the bridges, getting started on the depot rehab and the Phase II "transit village" plan, plus the housing at 7th and H is about to open up. Lots of complaints about the long walk from Light Rail to trackside, but part of Phase II will include realigning the tracks north-south, and eventually connecting them with the Green Line alignment up 7th Street to Richards, which will cut down on that walk.