View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:18 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
When you think about it, we don't do this to any other artform except architecture. There was no point where everyone got together and said, "music from the early 1900s is shitty! Let's destroy all the records from that era and never listen to it! Everyone should replace their tastes with Rock and Roll!"

While many people simply stopped listening to old music, there wasn't that determination to remove it from society, that vitriolic hatred directed against it, that we see with older architectural styles. But then music doesn't have architectural renaissances either.

Classical architectural styles came and went as well. I am sure in the same era, an Italianate style home was seen as rather ostentatious and unnecessarily showy compared to the contemporary, flat faces of Edwardian architecture.
THIS, this right here encapsulates so much of the debate of "what is and is not" historic. The truth is ANYTHING can be historic by default of being "old" the problem is buildings cannot just be left alone... They take up space and money, if you want to keep one around someone has to foot the bill for it.

The other problem with architecture is it is BIG. A person can choose not to goto to a museum to see something they consider tacky and tastless. But the same can not be said for a 50story office tower they may have to work in every day.

As far as they debate about "What you save" Well, while many know my owns views, There is something to be said about saving buildings that MEAN something. One has to consider Where something is and it's rarity. The images posted by Vid above look 'bland and generic' despite being classical buildings that I personally Love.

One asks, how many of these are left in the city? What is their history? Did anything important happen here? And where they examples of work by some important architect?

THESE Questions should be applied to many 'modern' and brutal buildings that are faceign demolition. I Have said this before and I will say it again, while I personally Abhore and Detest such buildings, one built, I shall fight with vigor to defend them from the choping block. Because it looks ugly is never ever a valid reason to destroy a building...

ALso...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Anything built after WW2 in America is expendable crap. Why pour money into soulless buildings when so much more is needed to be done in real historic neighborhoods. Not soulless mindless heartless post WW2 architecture. One 1850s building in need of repair is worth more than 20 modernist pieces of crap.
Ah... A curmudgeon after my own heart.
Yes thats it... FEEL they hate flow through you!!
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"