View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 8:11 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
I agree. It's good to have things happening downtown, but IMO, these developers are playing catch-up -- building things that downtown Buffalo has lacked (compared to other cities) for years. I hope the trend continues and we see larger and more prominent developments in the near future.

In all honesty, areas like Clarence and Amherst are growing, but is their growth benefiting the area? What I mean is this -- most of the new residents in these suburbs have relocated from other cities/towns in WNY and there is very little new in-migration. It's like Cheektowaga in the 70s -- while the city was bleeding population, the Cheek was booming. Now people are leaving the older suburbs and thus repeating the cycle. We need people moving in from other areas for real growth.

Except for a very few cities in the USA our urban downtowns are all crap holes not much better than Buffalo if at all. Even your beloved B’ham has a crap hole of a downtown and that is the truth. American cities are an embarrassment in the urbanism department.