View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 PM

Part 3 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up begins with the only picture I could find of the Pico-Hoover branch at 2136 W Pico. It's the building on the far right - the word "BANK" is just visible. The site is now a Jack-in-the-Box.

USC Digital Library

The Pico & Swall Drive branch at 8901 W Pico was a single story building with a large roof sign.
Sadly, you'll just find a brick Wells Fargo building there today.

USC Digital Library

This one comes with an interior shot. The large windows down the side make it look very light and airy inside.

USC Digital Library

The Plaza branch was at 539 N Spring. I haven't found any exterior shots, and I'm slightly confused by the address. The 1926 CD lists it as 539 N Main, but the streets in this area were changed around a lot when City Hall was built. I sure there must be a picture somewhere. What I do have is a couple of interior shots.

USC Digital Library

The Santa Barbara-Figueroa branch at 4021 S Figueroa has also proved elusive, but the address would suggest that it was in the southern corner of the Figueroa Theatre. The picture below was originally posted by e_r in post #5290. The bank would have been on the left.

LAPL

The Seventh-Alvarado branch was at 2044 W Seventh, opposite the southern corner of Westlake (MacArthur) Park. The 1927 picture below also shows the Alvarado Theatre. Its marquee advertises the Louise Fazenda movie "The Gay Old Bird" (1927) - "A comedy made for laughing". See more on the Alvarado Theatre and what now occupies the bank site in e_r's post here.

USC Digital Library

There's also a 1928 picture of the "new interior" of the Seventh-Alvarado branch.

USC Digital Library

The Sixth-San Pedro branch at 501 E Sixth was in the corner of the El Rey Hotel.

USC Digital Library

It can also be seen in this postcard, originally posted by tovangar2 (the picture is now missing). I also mentioned the El Rey Hotel in my post about the Hotel Teris.

Elizabeth Fuller on flickr

The building is still there, although it is now the Hope Row Resource Center.

GSV

I came so close with the Third-Kenmore branch at 3704 W Third. I found a 1927 picture of the building that housed it, but there's no sign of the bank which would have been in the fourth unit from the left. As well as the Kenmore Pharmacy and National Market, the picture also shows a tailors shop owned by Isadore Brown, a "Beauty Shoppe", a laundry and a barbers.

USC Digital Library

The bank has gone, but the building survives. The first floor is a bit of a mess, but aside from the modified parapet and filled-in windows, the upper floors look intact. The old bank address is now a tailor.

GSV

More to follow ...