View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I bought a house within a five minute walk of the knitting mill. I looked for a house for close to two years and feel in love with it. I had seen it on the MLS listings and decided not to look at it based on location only. My real estate guy showed me the house and I decided to buy it, despite the location. Since I have moved in I have not had any issues at all with the neighbourhood at all. That is not to say that some people who wander through may appear a bit off but as of yet no problems at all. My neighbours really look out for one another from shoveling each others snow to helping with project/reno's to keeping an eye on each others properties. I don't own a vehicle and I find within a five minute walk I can get on a bus to take me in any direction within the city. In addition, the go station is walking distance from this location.
I don't know whether condo's would attract families but Dr.Davey's school is a S.K to Grade 8 public school with incredible perks. They offer a free afterschool program for kids which I believe is the only school in the city that offers free childcare for school age children. A breakfast club. The playground is unbelieveable for a school park complete with rockets that spin.
The "new" farmers market and library, theater aquarius, copps collisium, hamilton place, art gallery are all within walking distance.
Many great resturants are within this area too.
The pier complete with walking and biking trails, splash park for kids, trolley rides and boat tours, huge outdoor ice skating rink and a pub/resturant with a massive patio overlooking the harbor is about a 20 minute walk from this location as well.
This area may have it's rough spots but after living in the area for close to two years I absolutely love it and have no regrets buying a house in this neighbourhood.

Sara
My experience mirrors your's almost identically. We first moved from Toronto about 3 years ago and many of our friends were very skeptical about us deciding to move to the neighbourhood but I have absolutely no regrets. I am so grateful that I was able to pick up my beautiful house for a steal. I am now involved with the Beasley Neighbourhood Association (see http://ourbeasley.com if you're interested) and we are always organizing big community events and looking for new people to join and help make it an even better place to live, work and play.