View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Los Angeles area has lots of highrises, but it isn't concentrated in one general area like it is in Seattle or San Francisco or other cities. It is spread out all over the city/metro area. Often when people talks about an LA Skyline they talk about Downtown LA which is cool at its own but compared to other cities it doesn't put in that wow factor. If you take all the highrises from Brentwood, West LA, Century City, Westwood, Mid Wilshire, Koreatown, Hollywood, West Hollywood, the Valley, Burbank, Glendale, Long Beach etc and placed in all in the general Downtown area, then I think people would lose their minds. But it isn't like that. Oh well. Downtown is getting more impressive on its own, but I feel that there are so many tall buildings and not many in the middle range that it looks quite empty esp from Griffith or Hollywood/Runyon. Looking from the east like in the arts district or Boyle heights, you can see all these different heights which makes it look really impressive.
True, LA's polycentric nature does dillute some of that "wow" factor. But that's only if we look at just the DTLA skyline. LA's multitude of skylines does make me feel like I'm in a global city though. Driving through DTLA, Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire, Century City, Westwood all the way to the Pacific Ocean -- you really get a sense of the density/enormity of it all. You don't get that feeling driving thru Houston or Seattle...