View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2011, 2:55 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I don't see this as an anti-development diatribe necessarily. Bousquet can be over-the-top and contradictory in the way he views some projects in the core, but I think I agree with the gist of this article as it applies to Halifax. Developments such as those on Larry Uteck have not been built with foresight or with the best interests of the residents in mind. It's a massively inefficient, ugly, and unadaptable form of development. You couldn't pay me to live there. Granted I'm a city person, but as far as suburban development goes it's nearly as bad as it gets (Kingswood would be as bad as it gets). People buy into it because it's the status quo around here. Dartmouth Crossing, Bedford Commons, etc...it's not an "if" whether or not this sprawl will prove a liability to the city in the future -- you need only look at any number of cities struggling across North America to maintain crumbling infrastructure serving these types of areas.
I would agree with this point except he is against big development (and developers) in the urban core also. He seems to be against everything.