View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Here's a Google Street View of the approximate site of 205 W. 6th in San Pedro:

There is a definite hill here. It's somewhat visible on the front steps, but particularly noticeable on the darker pink lower portion of the wall - at the left edge of the photo it's over a foot high, but tapers down to zero just past the right edge of the photo.

Looking at the opposite side of the street via this Google Street View link, you can see the front steps on that building disappear one by one as you get further from the corner.

I followed the link in the original post for a slightly larger image, which is how I noticed that it said San Pedro:

I took a look at historicaerials.com and although it's not helpful from a frontage standpoint, it does show a host of side-by-side commercial buildings on this block through 1972. Then in a 1980 aerial, the entire block has been cleared. So, my powers of deductive reasoning (aka total speculation) lead me to believe that the pawn shop had just moved in 1979 because that entire block was about to be torn down.

EDIT: one more thing I found: although I came up empty on any other pictures of the building, I found mention of the address on this web page. The Electric Theatre opened at 205 W. 6th in 1907, followed later by the Olympic Theater and the Union Theater.

This all makes sense, and fitting the pieces of the puzzle, all appears logical to me. Furthermore, the parking meter is still there, in about the same location...LOL