View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:49 PM

New Nuuk Airport Plans:

Nuuk's airport currently only has one 950 meter runway. A large extension to the airport is being planned, which will extend the runway to 2200 meters. The plan also calls for an extended terminal building. Because the airport will be extended northward, the road around the top of the airport will have to be demolished and rebuilt. Siaqqinneq Aqq. will be rebuilt to go farther north and then to the east where it will meet Aqisseqarajooq Aqq. at a roundabout. Aqisseqarajooq Aqq. will also be extended further northwards so it can link to the new prison. Some Greenlanders were hostile to Nuuk getting a new or improved airport, most notably Greenlanders living in Kangerlussuaq. Nuuk's new airport will likely replace Kangerlussuaq Airport in becoming Greenland's main international airport.

The master plan for the airport, including the location of the former runway and roads:

A rendering of the new airport:

The new airport overlayed on satellite imagery:

Originally, Nuuk was deciding on three different plans for a new airport. They could either: extend the current airport, build a new one to the north, or build a new one (proposed by B.I.G) on an island to the south. They chose the extension plan, which I think is best. Both of the other proposals would have required a ferry line, which could become unreliable in bad weather.

The formerly proposed B.I.G airport south of Nuuk:

I will cover the plans for the new airport planned for Ilulissat soon - it is the last airport being built at the moment in Greenland. But, there are proposals for new airports in Sisimiut and Tasiilaq.