View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:46 PM

All cities have their gritty areas. I've never been to the Northwest, but the top "grit cities" for CA have to be Oakland, SF, and LA. Not too surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill
I am not sure how working class Potrero Hill and The Mission are nowadays. That Whole Foods in the former, and all of the hipsters/precious cupcake shop shit and Dolores Park/Valencia areas don't scream "working class," IMO. Parts of them? No doubt. However, the levels of gentrification present make it difficult to characterize them as being entirely "working class."
That "precious cupcake" (lol) part of the mission is abut 1/3 of the mission's total area. The rest also has plenty of hipsters/yuppies and such, but is still majority working class, and still has plenty of grit. As of 2009, the Mission was 17.5% in poverty, which is not great, and was higher than the city-wide average of 11% (while neighboring Potrero Hill and Noe Valley had poverty rates of 13% and 6%, respectively). The hipster/cupcake part of the mission has some grit and working class people here and there as well. I would still call the Mission "working class" overall, though definitely less so than before the area west of Mission Street got trendy. Potrero Hill has some grit and working class people too, especially in and around the projects on the southeast side, but for the most part that neighborhood is pretty gentrified.