View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Cycling Sunday:
A great photograph of Winston-Salem's Cycling Sunday on the front page!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...c271.image.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman - Journalnow

50 West Fourth Apartments:
I noticed this light-well in the developer's rooftop photographs and wanted to share it. I thought this was interesting. I remember seeing it when making a 3D model of the building several years ago. We should start seeing more updates on this one! It will become 57 apartments and have a 1,900 square foot storefront, at the intersection of Main and Fourth streets, for a retailer or restaurant. The building was completed in 1896 and still has the original 1896 cornerstone. The building did have a 112 foot tall (34.1m) rooftop tower, but the tower was shortened and the building was expanded in 1925 and 1959. I wish they could remove the expansions and rebuild the tower. It was a beautiful Richardson Romanesque building years ago. Maybe I can share a few photographs of it later, including the original Victorian staircase and the 1896 cornerstone.

Credit: Clachan Properties

Ralph Lauren:
A file at the Forsyth County Register of Deeds today reports Ralph Lauren has leased their 843,000 square foot building and we now know construction will start next month! They should be ready to move-in by September 2015. This is the first phase of the project, which should reach 1.22 million square feet! This is where Ralph Lauren's local executives will move to. The Forsyth County Register of Deeds says Landmark Builders is the general contractor and Bradly & Ball are the architects. I usually don't cover many projects outside downtown, but this is a massive office and logistics project that could create 1,115 new jobs for a company that is a household name. I'm sure WSBI is celebrating this.

New Jobs:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina is opening a new innovation center that will be based in Winston-Salem.

West End Mill Works:
West End Mill Works will hold their grand opening on May 7th, at 7:30 p.m.,. There is a hipster warning issued for this event. The Mill Works does have a brewery and a distillery, so you may want to attend.

1815 Salt Flax House:
I find the restorations of these historic homes very interesting and want to share this one with the forum! Yes, this house was built in 1815!

Credit: Wilson Covington Construction

These historic floor joists (image below) are said to be from 1814? Is this house from 1814 or 1815?

I think this is everyone's favorite historic neighborhood in Winston-Salem! The half-timbered houses, from the mid-1700s, are the oldest.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:09 AM.