View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:22 PM
them bones

^The issue is that you are generally citing projects built during a time when labor and occupational safety laws weren't nearly as prevalent as they are now. In the Depression they could be speedy because there weren't that many projects around, people were hungry, and you had your pick of available laborers to do anything and work any time if there was work to be done. None of those things are valid today. In addition, throw in seismic zone 4 code requirements and this becomes an absurdly complicated project. I realize that the GG is in zone 4 as well, but it has been painstakingly and constantly retrofitted over the past 80 years. Not something you can easily do with an occupied skyscraper.

To me this project is very analogous to the IFC project in Hong Kong, built from 1994-2003. A central train station, a large central tower, within a densely developed urban area all built on landfill. I assure you, 2IFC was not built in 18 months. Excavation and shoring was done in 1997-1998, then a delay and foundation work began in late 1999. The tower opened in 2003. Of course the towers are by the same architect...