View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I lived right off Oak Knoll for six months back in 1975. We were a block south of California on Cornell Rd. Used to ride my skateboard down to the mansions on Oak Knoll or to the Pantry grocery store at California and Lake. The air was so dirty it hurt to breath. We moved there in June and in November after a rain storm I was shocked to see the San Gabriel Mts looming over us. I had no idea they were there for four months...
Hey Kevin, you were my neighbor and fellow skateboarder at that time; I grew up on Oak Knoll at Ridge Way. Many a trip down what we called Kewen Canyon (more officially known as Mill Canyon) and many pleasant hours in the remnants of the natural environment still there at that time (that's why all the trees on the right side of the map).
At the mouth of the canyon is the Old Mill of the San Gabriel Mission, which surely not new to NLA (though I found little reference). This view is looking E and shows Wilson's Lake, so named as it was part of B.D.Wilson's Lake Vineyard ranch.

PDHC

For a time the Mill was used as the caddy shack for the Huntington Hotel. I believe about this era:

PDHC

Couple more Pasadena Country Club pics

PDHC

PDHC

As near as I can tell the Clubhouse was in the area along Oak Grove Ave in San Marino. I was treated to a tour at what is now called Thornton Gardens, which is a property in that area acquired by the Huntington Library and transformed into, well, a Huntington estate. Here is the Myron Hunt mansion:

scb

fancy chimney brickwork!

scb

the orchid house

scb