View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Urban planning has actually driven me more toward libertarianism and free market thinking than any other aspect of life because I feel like so many of the problems are actually created by stupid regulations. The conversation just seems to consist of, "We just need to find the right regulations" or "Well that didn't work but we just need to tweak or rejig a few things and then we'll be all set!" when I just feel like there haven't been many examples of this actually working. Suburbanization and car dependence can be connected to various government actions and policies.

Governments and planners talk a lot about sprawl, walkability and affordability, but how big an issue would these even be without government facilitation? In this case it might be zoning restrictions such as height/density limits (often as lot occupancy maximums) and minimum setbacks requirements, but it can also include things such as minimum street widths, suburban subdivision design, parking minimums, highway construction, road funding, land expropriation decisions and even anti-jay walking laws. And when the market actually tries to respond by offering other options such as tiny homes, granny suites, etc. the government acts as a barrier due to zoning restrictions. I doubt I'd ever move to a complete "hands off" approach, but perhaps a "minimal hands" policy would be helpful.
The less govt intervention in all aspects of life, the better and more prosperous we would all be. However the majority in Canada seem to think that govt can solve all problems, and demand more and more govt intrusion into our lives. 1984 is a bit later in coming than Orwell projected, but it is coming nonetheless.