View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2015, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Nice stories from the VA guys. Hope DCnPhilly is right about Philly's impending explosion of greatness.

Nice to see that this very non-mainstream city appeals deeply to at least some non-natives.

So many outsiders find it so much easier to fall in love with flashier, richer, or more mainstream cities, they just won't give Philly its due.
It's funny, I only lived in D.C. proper for three years and I managed to convince at least ten people to move there. Out of 12 years in Philadelphia, only one. This is a city you either love or hate, or more specifically, you either get or you don't.

And that is exactly what I love about it. From cities like D.C. and San Francisco that have been completely transformed, to cities like Detroit and Cleveland that struggle to do the same, Philadelphia somehow refuses to blend in.

It is, was, and always will be Philadelphia. Newcomers either embrace our quirks or go home, and more and more Americans seem to want what Philadelphia offers. And I really think it's that Philadelphia still offers the quintessential, 20th Century urban experience without being cliche, it hasn't become Disneyfied like Manhattan, but never died like Detroit. If you want the 60s, 70s, or 80s, it's right here in Philadelphia, and you can download it to your iTunes.