View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:31 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible.

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
An update from forum member RoedigerHouse at the WSTB Forum. Workers are installing the cladding on the south facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Progress as of 05 February 2017:
Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
This project was scheduled for completion in January. It is nowhere near completed. Completion was pushed-back a few more months, while they completely redesigned the project. Due to demand for larger and more upscale units than what was originally proposed, they have reduced the number of condominiums and increased the size of the units. Most of them are purchased, including a full-floor penthouse on the sixth floor. If you want to know if any units are still available, you can call (336) 575-7262. They have also decided to divide the retail space into three smaller retail spaces. It was once a large department store. With the success they had, with this project, I'm guessing we will see another proposal from GEMCAP in the near future? I love the interiors. These are beautiful condominiums.

Credit: yadkinriverkeepernc

The local Business Journal shared 21 photographs of the project and more details in a story. Visit their website to see all of the images and read all of the details. I'll only share a few images that I decreased the size of.

Sites for 20+ Storey Buildings:
According to Smart Growth, the City of Winston-Salem has researched and published a list of sites that are perfect for skyscrapers with 20 or more floors. This information is now available to anyone interested in building high-rises in downtown. Usually, the city doesn't do something like this unless they had a request for the information. That has people talking and asking who is proposing it and where? There are hints, like maybe 27 storeys and mixed-use/residential. It could be PMC Property Group, which is in the process of buying two development sites, including one shown on the high-rise list. They build high-rise apartments and mixed-use. That is just a guess from me, though. Since the city also included height information for existing skyscrapers, it has some asking if we could see a new tallest? I guess we will see what happens.

1794 Boy's School Restoration:
This is a much larger project than I thought. They are restoring the original 223 year-old building and reconstructing two outdoor structures that once stood at the site. We now have renderings of these structures.

Credit: Old Salem Museums & Gardens

A nice rendering of the entire project:

Outlines of the two new reconstruction projects behind the school:

Interior progress update:

Exterior with construction fence around original 1794 building:

Mission Pizza Napoletana Facade Renovation:
The owner of Mission Pizza Napoletana is reporting the business will have a facade renovation. No details at this time, but work has started.

607 North Trade Building:
This building was constructed in 1919 and was once an Oldsmobile & Franklin dealership & repair shop. It was an expansion of the two-storey car dealership building, from 1916, behind it. It later became a Western Auto. Sadly, it has sat abandoned in recent years. It's great to see someone renovating it into two new restaurants. If you would like to learn about the building's history, you can read about it Fam's North Carolina Room Blog. Did you know the Crossfit Building, behind this structure, was designed of solid concrete, with a car elevator, so workers could repair cars on the second floor?

An update on the new roof they are building (the old roof was 98 years old and at risk for collapsing):

Credit: Fam / North Carolina Room

I'm now guessing, from the holes in the wall, they may destroy and paint-over the mural:

They should consider restoring the mural. It looks interesting, with the windows and doors cut into it. Some of the south's most famous blues musicians played along the streets of Winston-Salem's Arts District in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, when this part of downtown was one of the southeast's major centers of agricultural trade and filled with people. There were so many people, wagons, trucks, etc., you couldn't move in the crowd. And street music filled the air.

Fam also included this interesting photograph from 1911 and said he tell this story, connected to the building, in the near future:

If you're looking at the pennant on the car: "50-15 Winston-Salem" was a goal in 1910 to reach 50,000 people in Winston-Salem by 1915, to become one of the nation's largest cities. This was during the time when Winston-Salem became North Carolina's largest and dominate city and one of the south's top three industrial centers.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
The site is now closed and they have permits. We are waiting for the official ground breaking, to start construction on this project and add it to our construction list.

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Workers are now adding the red paint:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Credit: art_nouveau_ws

Wake Forest University:
Wake Forest University made the 2017 Princeton Review "Colleges That Pay You Back" list.

Morris Building: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

It appears as if they have boarded the windows:

Credit: jtc3k

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Workers cleaning & repairing the brick:

Credit: delbertnuckles

Cutting brick on north wall for new windows: (also note steel on site & brick repair and repointing)

Credit: innovationquarter

Credit: wb256

Credit: wb256

Credit: emilypalcsak

Credit: brittanybutterworthphoto

A look at the cut in the brick wall for a new wall of windows:

Credit: kkcharley

A local radio station photographs the crane installing steel for new floors:

Credit: 987simon

Credit: wingsoverwinston

Credit: theallynetwork

West End Station:
The project has applied for permits and will cost $40 million.

Reboot Arcade Bar:
Remember this project, to open Liberty Street's second barcade? They had a zoning issue and may not open until the end of this month. The owner has enough classic arcade games to open two barcades, so he can rotate the machines (to make any needed repairs).

This image is from January 13. It's sad to see the colorful building painted black & blue. Reboot should be a great addition to Liberty Street, which is becoming the hot street for development, right now.

Credit: Reboot Arcade

Quarry Park:
According to Fox 8, vandals did $70,000 in damage to the park construction site and construction equipment, a week or two ago. In good news, it appears as if the City of Winston-Salem will ask voters to approve bonds next year, which could include the second phase of Quarry Park!

Credit: Fox 8

This will become a massive city park. Look at the size of it.

This photographer does amazing work:

Credit: wayupmedia

Alternative Transportation:

Bike Share:
The IQ District is surveying people on the future bike share. I'm thinking they may sponsor it? It's moving a step closer to happening. Right now, Winston-Salem has a few free bike shares, largely used to advertise commercial real estate companies or as neighborhood amenities. I would like to see a larger city-wide bike share.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
According to the city, a bridge over Fourth Street is currently being installed. An older railroad bridge, over Seventh Street, will be removed today and a new bridge will replace it tomorrow or Thursday.

These new bridges will have color-changing LED lights:

Credit: turner.christy

Credit: turner.christy

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
During a meeting, to discuss city priorities, city leaders discussed ensuring Union Station can accommodate as many travel modes as possible, including rail, bus, bicycle, and pedestrians.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: victoriamajor88

I wish someone would restore this building to its original appearance (Artists use it as a rentable photography studio):

Credit: 3cs_signs

Credit: thisissk8

Credit: stevewaiksnoris

Credit: 3cs_signs

I love these creative/tech company workplaces in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

Credit: archi_transformation