View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:04 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Being integrated is much different than saying there's no border security until you hit San Antonio, which is really far away from McAllen, TX -- 240 miles apart. Sure there's lots of people that commute daily from Mex to Tex and vice versa with family on both sides as somebody else already mentioned.

You still have to go through customs at each port of entry in McAllen.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//U.S...2!2d26.0968854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
There is definitely security on the southern border and he may be referring to the various border control checkpoints (there's one near San Antonio on I-10) that stop pretty much everyone and check their status.
Yeah, there are indeed border checkpoints well into the U.S. on many of the highways - this is true in South Texas, at least. My dad was raised in Brownsville and his family was still down there while I was growing up in the Austin area. We drove down all the time.

That said, this is not to say that there is not security on the border as you cross into Matamoros, Nuevo Progresso, Reynosa, etc. These northern checkpoints are just that - checkpoints. They're additional layers of security on top of the customs and immigration at the actual border.