View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:16 PM
somewhere in-between

Portage Construction Update - April 08, 2017

Two days ago I awoke to 2" of snow on the ground. So today when I awoke to blue skies, sunshine, and the promise of temps in the mid-60s, I thought I'd take a drive and do a mini construction update for Portage. All photos taken by myself.

Starting with the largest in-progress construction project, Trade Center 3, just north of I-94. The steel is rising fast on this one.

Oh how I wish that this could be 10, even 5 stories taller. But with Portage zoning ordinance what it is, there are severe height restrictions (I think 60 feet maximum height, due mostly due to the nearby airport). So even at just 5 stories, this latest addition to the Trade Center development required a height variance. Another angle:

That's the new-ish Homewood Suites in the background. New development is happening everywhere in Portage, but with its strict height limits, relatively cheap land, and relatively pro-business practices, the City of Portage is destined to be one defined by low-rise, suburbany-feeling development.

Cue Exhibit B: here is the recently completed commercial plaza at the corner of South Westnedge and West Milham Avenues.

It is anchored by Design 1, a hair salon / spa, and also has a Tropical Smoothie Café, Weight Loss Center, and some other spa-type services. Nothing that would really cater to me, but as a building, I do think it's an improvement over the two underutilized commercial structures that were demolished to make room for it.

Meh. I would have hated it more if it was single story.

Further west on Milham, you find the new Story Point senior living community.

The building is occupied, although it looked like there were a lot of different specialty services and utility folks still on the premise, probably doing things like hooking up cable internet. There are a bunch of these types of communities cropping up in southwest Michigan. I can't keep up with them all.

Right across the street from this development, on the north side of Milham, is the new Copperleaf subdivision, built by Allen Edwin Homes. Phase 1 is wrapping up, consisting of single-family detached residences, and folks were literally moving in as I drove through the development. It looked mostly like lots of young families with children, which I'd wager is the general target demographic for most of the new housing construction happening in Portage.

Honestly, the 'architecture' of these homes could be much worse. There's a vague 'crafstman' vibe, and the multi-colored siding helps to alleviate some of the monotony of the similar floorplans. I think including the sidewalks helps. But I still think the homes have that whole 'garage with a house attached' feel to them.

(The Hummer completes the picture).

The homes start in the $220's, and with good parks, good schools, a major highway, regional shopping mall and commercial strip all in the immediate vicinity, it seems like only a matter of time before this whole area becomes built-up with similar looking...stuff.

Journeying south a bit, I came across an interesting private residence along Moorsbridge Road.

A bit further south, in the large Woodbridge Hills neighborhood along Old Centre Avenue, there is a new Pediatric Dentistry going up. Not too exciting, there's a bunch of stick-framed medical suite stuff like this popping up in Portage. The slab was just poured.

Then at the corner of Oakland Drive and West Centre Avenue, there is a new Arbor Financial Credit Union branch that broke ground a few weeks ago. The foundations are poured and awaiting the slab. The credit union currently has a branch right across the street and they will be moving in here when completed.

Credit unions and bank branches are probably tied with condominium developments for the most popular form of construction happening in Portage currently. It's a sign of the growing economy in the area - there's maybe 15 - 20 newly opened or nearly opened new branch offices, all competing to cater to the growing number of residents that are entertaining the idea of buying a home.

Speaking of condos and new home ownership, here are some pictures from the ongoing Whisper Rock Condominium community being built by AVB, along South Oakland Drive. These condos are selling at prices that start in the upper $200's.

Don't even think about it - it's private!

I'm less a fan of these than say, Copperleaf. At least in Copperleaf you could probably pick out your own house form among the rest. I suppose that homogeneity is 'par for the course' when it comes to condominium developments.

The Whisper Rock Condominiums look quite similar to the adjacent, and nearly completed, Oakland Hills Condominiums, also brought to us by AVB. I don't know why, but these condos are selling for approximately twice as much more than the ones at Whisper Rock ($400's vs $200's). Maybe demand has slackened slightly.

Another small condominium development is slowly taking shape along West Osterhout Avenue, at the southern edge of Portage. This community is designed to ultimately have 12 units (6 buildings). The second one has been under construction for what seems like over a year now. Randall J. Bass is the builder. They really embodied the massive garage-in-front, small-living-space in back aesthetic. Not a big fan.

Finally, I end this low rise, low-caliber construction update with a walk in Schrier Park. I think that the extensive park system in Portage is one of the city's best assets. They do a good job taking care of the parks, and the network of trails is still expanding. Schrier Park just received a new pavilion and playground. The playground replaced an older one last fall, and the pavilion was just completed a week or two ago.

Whatever your thoughts on this round of development updates, I know one critic that is easily impressed -

- that's my dog.