View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:16 PM

WNBA in Winnipeg?? (Just a thought...)

Somebody posted an article regarding Stella's recently. In the paragraph before the Free Press firewall kicked in, there was a mention of Earl Barish, who of course owned the Cyclone.

There is an appetite for basketball in Winnipeg and southern Manitoba that in many ways is undeserved. It probably should be served well by the two local (plus 1 in Brandon) U Sports teams, but both do a horrendous job of marketing themselves and have for my entire earthly existence (how an Asper student hasn't taken this project on is still beyond me... but that's a different conversation).

As it stands, the WNBA is the highest level of basketball in the world, for female athletes. It's the real McCoy so to speak. It may struggle with fan support across the league, but it is not minor league. Its season runs mid-June through the summer and is over by the fall. Put a different way, it starts as the Jets/Moose finish, and wraps up before the Jets/Moose begin. Is there potential for True North to get involved here (purely speculatively). There are teams in Minnesota, Chicago, Denver, all of whom are essentially hockey division rivals and perhaps make marketing an easier sell (I'm reaching here, I know...). Ticket cost is reasonable, and you would be competing against yourself. I don't think basketball fans, are going to not go because of the Winnipeg Valour FC, or that they already have shelled out their bucks for the Blue Bombers.

In any event, I'm bordering on TLDR territory. There are so many bright people, I am just curious what some of you think as merely a possibility.