View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:28 PM

Social media is a huge part of why a lot of minor pro or independent leagues (of any sport) have fallen off or folded. It's a pretty tough sell to get people excited for basketball players they've never heard of, and who aren't well known elsewhere, when we have almost unlimited 24/7 access to NBA players – the best in the world.

The AHL has been a bright exception for the NHL, as it offers a glimpse at future stars, that are already in line to go to certain big league teams. That's why the G League restructured – they're following the AHL model to a T now, and want to have a G League team for every NBA team in 5 years.

You could argue the Goldeyes break the exception as well, but the Northern League went bankrupt twice (before folding), and we got absorbed into the AA – which still isn't necessarily thriving. The league benefits from being mostly rural/small-town US teams, which go ape shit for baseball. Just like Canadians and junior hockey.

To who was asking – Cyclones did well for attendance based on capacity in theory, however most tickets were freebies given to school/community centre ball teams. I went several times, always for free with my team. It had the atmosphere of a trade show... I think the Vertical Adventures climbing wall was a bigger attraction than the game.

All this aside, Esquire is right – I think there's already a huge market for a new small arena in Winnipeg. TBH I was shocked that TN built the IcePlex so far out, as it would have been smart to build it (or at least one small arena) somewhat central, so it could be used for concerts. We have a MASSIVE gap in entertainment venues in the city, you pretty much either have The Burt which holds ~1,700, or MTS which lower bowl only concerts is about 7-8,000 I believe. So not only is there a massive gap, but The Burt has downright AWFUL acoustics (makes everything just sound like jumbled noise), and MTS isn't the best atmosphere when not fully open.