View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 8:40 PM

I agree we need aggressive. The problem is that Langford rarely has a lot of thought before he plunges, and the follow-through is not there either. For instance, the entire state recruitment plan right now is geared--in writing--towards landing heavy industry such as jet building, auto manufacture, etc. Not only is Jefferson county prevented from this sort of job due to air quality issues, but unlike, say, Mobile, we are a much more diversified economy trained for high tech and bio engineering and the like.

I would much rather see the Mayor put together a thoughtful plan that recommends the state go after this sort of job that could benefit Birmingham, rather than hoping for help under the existing program--which cannot help us, no matter how much the governor may take a shine to Larry.

Lastly, the governor has stated many times before: until he sees Birmingham act regionally and in a united fashion, we'll always be looked over. In Montgomery, Mobile, and Huntsville, the mayor joins with the corporate community, and other local government officials to make pitches to the governor. That's the only way this can work. And I'm afraid most of this community is now waiting for the criminal indictment to be handed down to Langford, and wondering if/when a new election may be called if he resigns.

Not a good cloud to have hanging over you when you try to pitch your city. Some day we'll have better.